Because I think we need some more time to digest what we’re doing/going to do, I’m going to hold off on responding to your 3 ideas email. We’ll return to those ideas (and, perhaps, others) in class next week. For now, here’s what I want you to do in regards to the “2/3 readings assignment” mentioned in the homework section of the schedule for this week.
Find 3 online pieces of digital media that might spark your imagination. They should vary in media and modes of communication in some way. (iow, they shouldn’t all be animations, nor all web-comics, nor machinima, etc. You can have 2 from one “kind” and at least one from another kind. This is to prevent you from getting stuck into one way of visualizing how a project might proceed.)
Here are some completely random examples where you might start. As you can see, some of these have something to do with digital writing studies, and some of them don’t. Your examples may or may not have anything to do with writing studies. My main goal with this exercise is to have you explore different ways of presenting information/ideas/creativity using digital media. All of the examples below would be akin to good final projects for this class.
- Why We Need Government-Run Universal Socialized Health Insurance [animation]
- The Machine is Us/ing Us [screencapture video]
- Helenistic Encomium: A Reflection on Comics and Rhetoric [screencapture video]
- An A-Word Production: Authentic Design [animation]
- The Longest Poem in the World [twitter-feed poem]
- Ytwitter? [twitter-feed essay, from students in last semester’s class]
- Documenting my Multimodal Creation [a process blog about a DM (digital media) project]
- When Revision is Re-Design [a process webtext about a DM project]
- different projects from the Spatial History Project [crazy untold technologies that we’d have to explore; this is a bit more than a final project for this class…but there are tons of digital media websites out there that present scholarship in new, visualized ways]
- OpenPlay games (there’s 3 of them) [Flash games]
- random World of Warcraft machinima [in-game screencapture]
To complete this assignment you should find 1-2 others in addition to any above you looked at (1 if you watched 2 above; 2 if you watched 1 above). Once you’ve read these pieces, you should start a new post on your blog in which you
- provide the title of the piece and link to it from the title
- describe the piece in a few sentences, as you think it relates to the value criteria outlined in this blog post that my previous class created. (Don’t worry that we haven’t talked about this yet; we will next week, so just use your best judgement/guess at this point. I want you to start thinking about WHY you chose these pieces over others.)
- Add a Trackback link to *this* blog post in your post. (Search WordPress help for how to do this if you need help. Then email me if you’re still stuck.)
These posts are due by 8am Wednesday, Sept. 2. Let me know if you have questions!